Governor Sanwo-Olu Says Trial of Policemen Who Shot At Surulere Protesters Has Begun

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has given an update on the incident that led to the death of an #EndSARS protester in the Surulere area of the state.

He made the disclosure on Saturday through his Twitter handle, days after some police officers fired live ammunitions at peaceful protesters in the Area C Police Command of Lagos.

“Yesterday (Friday), the orderly room trial of the police officers involved in the Surulere incident began,” the governor disclosed. It was reported last week Monday that the victim was hit by a bullet while others sustained various degrees of injury as a result of the action of the security personnel

Reacting to the candlelight vigil held in honour of the victims of SARS and those who lost their lives to police brutality, Governor Sanwo-Olu described the procession as “powerful”.

He said, “I have seen powerful images and videos of the #CandleForSARSVictims vigils held across the country. It calls for very sober reflections.”

“Some of the victims (of the Surulere incident) attended and will testify before the panel next week. Justice will be served. Thank you to the team actively following up and helping victims.

“There is so much more to be done and I will keep sharing the actions we are taking in line with my announcements,” the governor added.

Earlier, governor Sanwo-Olu had condemned the action of the police officers involved in the Surulere incident while giving a live address on Thursday at the State House in Marina.

The governor had hinted that all the four erring police officers had been identified and the government was monitoring their trial.

 

 

%d bloggers like this: