Hundreds of schoolboys kidnapped last week Friday from Government Science Secondary School Kankara, in Katsina state have been released.
A spokesman for the governor of Katsina state, Abdul Labaran said 344 had been freed and were all in a good condition. The attack was claimed by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, which hours earlier released a video apparently showing some of the boys.
In his statement, the spokesman, said the boys were being taken to the state capital Katsina City, and would soon be reunited with their families. He said the clip released by Boko Haram was authentic, but a message seemingly from the group’s leader Abubakar Shekau was, instead, by an impersonator.
Other reports suggest some still remain in the hands of their captors. The state Governor, Aminu Bello Masari was quoted by an international news agency as saying, “we have recovered most of the boys. It’s not all of them,” while a security source told another international news agency some still remained with their captors.
Mr Labaran said none of the kidnapped boys had been killed, contradicting a boy shown in the video who said some had been killed by Nigerian fighter jets.
Meanwhile, President Buhari on Thursday celebrated the release of the abducted students describing their safe return as a big relief to their families, the entire country and to the international community.
According to a statement signed by Garba Shehu, President Buhari specifically cited what he called the “spirit of partnership and the collaborative efforts of the government of Katsina, Zamfara and military leading to the release and commended the nation’s intelligence agencies, the military and police force for providing the environment for the safe release of the hostages.”
Buhari added: “The Governor (Masari) and the army worked extremely hard. As soon as I got the information, I congratulated them. The Armed Forces know their job. They have been well trained and properly motivated.”
Again, Southern Kaduna is in the news on account of multiple attacks on Kujeni and Gan Gora communities in Kaduna state.
About 200 armed men have been reported to have attacked Kujeni village in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The Council Chairman, Caifra Caino said, the bandits attacked the village in broad daylight, riding on over 100 motorcycles with at least one passenger each shooting sporadically.
He also said that there was quick response by security operatives, who are now going after the bandits in the bush.
Also, it was reported yesterday that Gan Gora which is a community in Zango Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State is currently under attack by gunmen.
Leader of the vigilante group in the community, Maza Dominic who confirmed the attack said the residents are running helter-skelter for safety.