Insecurity: President Buhari says foreign elements responsible for some security challenges in Nigeria as Lagos governor ask residents to ignore terror threat, summons emergency security meeting

Nigeria President Muhammadu Buhari says his government has recognised that some of the security challenges confronting Nigeria were imported by foreign elements and has accordingly adopted bilateral and multilateral arrangements to tackle the problem.

Buhari, who was represented by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, stated this Friday at the graduation of Course 30 of the National Defence College (NDC) in Abuja.

“I want to assure all Nigerians that the government is doing all it can to eliminate or apprehend the criminals or bandits, wherever they are,” he said.

Buhari acknowledged that Nigeria and indeed the African region had been facing difficult times with terrorism, adding that the military and other security agencies had been given directives to decisively deal with them.

He said: “Government is also deeply concerned about the activities of bandits and criminals who have reared their ugly heads in some parts of the country.

“This is because the number of violent unprovoked attacks on citizens appears to be on the increase. This is unacceptable.

“Accordingly, we have given the strong directive to the military and other security agencies to deal decisively with terrorists, bandits, and other enemies of the country.”

Meanwhile, as unconfirmed reports of an imminent attack on Lagos by terrorists continue to reverberate around the state, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu Friday night urged Lagos residents to ignore the report, as the state government and security operatives were on top of the situation.

Sanwo-Olu said this during an emergency press conference held at the State House, Marina, after a meeting with security operatives from the Nigerian Police, the Navy, Army, Customs and the Civil Defence, among others.

He acknowledge being in the know because he had read some news on social media about a threat of an impending attack on Lagos but urged Lagos residents to remain calm and go about their lawful businesses.

“In the last couple of days or weeks, there has been a lot of social media news and information about the threat of impending attacks on Lagos. I’ve had on a daily basis security communication with my security operatives.

“I want to assure our citizens that we are on top of the matter. We felt there is a need to have this important extended security meeting.

“At the meeting, we received a comprehensive report on what the current security situations in the state are. We have come up with strategies and interventions but I want to assure our people that our security men are alive to their responsibility to ensure the security in the state is not compromised.

“Our advice to our citizens is to be law abiding and go about their lawful duties and to say something if they see something. Security is the duty of all. They should utilise all the security communication that is available.

“We want to assure you we are not unaware of all the concerns that have gone around. The security operatives have given all the assurances to continue to make Lagos safe for all.”

 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: