Ukrainian forces have pushed back Russian troops in the Kharkiv region, as fierce battles continue in eastern Ukraine.
The Russian defense ministry said on Saturday that Russian forces carried out missile attacks on targets in the eastern region of Donetsk, including five Ukrainian command posts and two ammunition depots.
The ministry also said Russian troops destroyed 13 Ukrainian drones in the Kharkiv area and attacked targets in the southern region of Kherson.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a video address on Friday that Ukrainian forces have taken back more than 1,000 settlements so far, six in the Kharkiv region in the previous 24 hours.
Reports suggest Ukraine is on the verge of victory around Kharkiv, the country’s second-largest city.
The Russian military has likely decided to withdraw from the area in the face of Ukrainian counteroffensives and reinforcement problems, says the Institute for the Study of War.
“The main activity of the enemy in the Kharkiv region was the withdrawal of its units from the city of Kharkiv,” said a Ukrainian military spokesman, quoted by AFP.
A US think tank, the Institute for the Study of War, said in a report on Friday, “The Russian military has likely decided to withdraw fully from its positions around Kharkiv City in the face of Ukrainian counteroffensives and the limited availability of reinforcements.”